Included are a series of ideas that would make “growing preparing and consuming food healthier, saner, more productive, less damaging, and more enduring.” Here are the highlights:
- End government subsidies to processed food.
- Begin subsidies to those who produce and sell actual food for direct consumption.
- Break up the U.S. Department of Agriculture and empower the Food and Drug Administration.
- Outlaw concentrated animal feeding operations and encourage the development of sustainable animal husbandry.
- Encourage and subsidize home cooking.
- Tax the marketing and sale of unhealthful foods.
- Reduce waste and encourage recycling.
- Mandate truth in labeling.
- Reinvest in research geared toward leading a global movement in sustainable agriculture, combining technology and tradition to create a new and meaningful Green Revolution.
Read the detail behind each one of these points here, in A Food Manifesto for the Future.
Photo: Sally Stein; source: MarkBittman.com